What Does Article 10 (Reducing Noise from Landscape Maintenance Equipment) Do?
Article 10, passed overwhelming by Town Meeting on November 18, 2021 and affirmed by Lexington residents in a referendum on March 7, 2022, adds several provisions to the Town’s existing Noise Bylaw.
1. Allowed hours for the use of all motorized landscape maintenance equipment have been reduced
• Under prior law:
o Residents: Monday through Sunday, 7 AM to 9 PM
o Landscapers: Monday through Saturday, 7 AM to 9 PM
• Under the new Bylaw:
o Residents: Weekdays, 7 AM to 8 PM, Weekends and legal holidays, 9 AM to 5 PM
o Landscapers: Weekdays, 7 AM to 6 PM, Saturday 9 AM to 5 PM
2. Temporary seasonal restrictions are imposed on gas-powered leaf blowers.
• Effective May 22, 2022, GLB use by any user is limited to the following designated fall and spring cleanup periods:
o Spring: March 15 to May 31
o Fall: September 15 to December 30
3. The use of gas-powered leaf blowers is phased out
• Effective March 15, 2025, the use of gas-powered leaf blowers by commercial landscapers will not be allowed. An exemption allows the continued use of wheeled leaf blowers powered by four-stroke engines on lots larger than 1 acre.
• Residents will be allowed to use GLBs on their own property until March 15, 2026.
4. Responsibility and Penalties
• Both the operator and the homeowner may be fined up to $50 for the first violation, $100 for the second violation, and $200 for each subsequent violation. These penalties are consistent with other town bylaws.